World Watch List rank: 41
Leader: President Abdul Hamid
Population: 164.8 million (866,000 Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
Government: Parliamentary democracy
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ Religious nationalism
"We lift up believers in Bangladesh who live in fear of the spread of militant Islamism – particularly those who have already been targeted in violent attacks. Pour out Your blessing on converts to Christianity who face rejection, divorce and ostracism for their faith. May You protect and uphold our persecuted family here. "
Make some noise
Tell your church about your persecuted family in Bangladesh and share the stories of believers online by visiting the Open Doors website.
Get more involved
Visit www.opendoorsuk.org to find out more about persecution in Bangladesh.
Photos copyright Open Doors InternationalVisit the website
As the real threat of militant Islamism in Bangladesh grows, so do the violent attacks on Christians.
Four Christians were murdered in 2016 amidst a string of killings of religious minorities, secularists and political activists by Islamist militants – some with links to so-called Islamic State. Converts from Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism come under pressure from their families and communities to reconvert. Some experience unemployment, divorce, threats and even violence – such as rape – when their faith becomes known.
Christians in Bangladesh contend with the reality of persecution every day. Open Doors works together with local churches to supports persecuted believers through:
- Equipping and training Christian believers, with special emphasis on emerging leadership and believers from a Muslim background
- Providing Bibles (including study Bibles for graduates) and other Christian literature
- Providing assistance through literacy and socio-economic development
- Providing advocacy and immediate relief to victims of persecution
- Preparing believers to deal with persecution through Standing Strong Through the Storm seminars.