Praying for your Area
Invest time into praying for your local area, seeking God's kingdom and inviting His presence to dwell in your village, town or city.
What you need to get started
- A map of your area
- Walking shoes
Step One: Study
Get to know the place you live in. This may take a little research and an investment of time, but will help inform your prayers:
- Understand who lives in your area: the different kinds of people and the things they are facing on a daily basis
- Understand the social make-up: what ethnicities and social classes live and work in which areas?
- Understand the power centres: political figures, police departments, religious leaders, media outlets, centres of commerce, finance, schools, and areas exploring the arts (if applicable
- Understand the spirituality of your city: what temples, churches, mosques and sacred monuments are there?
Step Two: Walk
- Observe: the streets, different areas and people. What do you see?
- Pray: Walk the streets and ask God to show you what He sees and to know His heart.
- Meet People: find out what the needs are in the different areas, hear stories, ask questions.
Step Three: Pray and become the answer to your prayers
Now you have a good understanding of your area and the people within it, share your knowledge with your community.
Decide how you will invest in regular prayer personally, with friends and as a church community. You may want to arrange special prayer meetings to pray for your city throughout the year approaching intercession for different areas and needs each time. For ideas on how to plan and lead these meetings read ‘Dynamic prayer meetings’.
However you gather to pray bless the good, pray for the leaders of your area, and pray for God’s Kingdom to come and His will to be done in areas of deprivation or difficulty.
If God particularly gives you a heart for a need or social challenge how could you and your church be part of God's solution to the problem practically, as well as prayerfully?