How to Encourage Creative Prayer
How to pray creatively
24-7 Prayer Rooms have helped people all over the world learn to pray by finding a new ways to connect and speak with God. Talking with Jesus in interactive and creative ways has engaged all generations; particularly young people in filling an hour with prayer. Embrace creativity when designing your prayer space. If this doesn't come naturally to you then here are our top tips to help you create an engaging prayer space.
- Find the artistic and creative people in your community and ask them to help you.
- Think about why you're praying. If there is a vision, call or verse that is at the heart of your 24-7 Prayer Room design your space around it to help people to focus and pray.
- Keep it simple and bold. Creative doesn't mean cluttered. If in doubt make the room welcoming, colourful and include prayer guides or stations to interact with if people need them.
- Make room for other people’s creativity. Leave a large space for drawing, writing, painting or sculpting and allow your community to shape the room as they pray.
- Engage all five senses. How could you use inspiring images and verses to catch the eye, music and sound to inspire or facilitate worship, things to touch or hold to focus the mind or things to taste and smell to help people consider what they're praying about?
Creative prayer stations
Prayer stations can help those who find praying for an hour a challenge. Below are a few ideas of the kinds of stations you could put in your 24-7 Prayer Room to help people talk with God.
People - Family Tree
Find a real tree or draw one. Invite people to write the names of their families and friends and stick them to the tree as they pray for each in turn.
Please - Wailing Wall
Make space on a wall, net or piece of fabric for people to write or draw their honest requests to God. Watch as it fills up as the week progresses.
Sorry - Sin Bin/Trash Can
Put a bin (trash can), some paper and pens in the room and invite people to pray the words of Psalm 139:23-24. As they decide to repent write the sin down and throw it in the bin.
Forgive - Wash it off
Get a bowl of water and some pens. Invite people to write the names of those they need to forgive on their hands and as they wash them off, to ask Jesus to help them forgive.
Kingdom come - World Zone
Put maps, globes and newspapers in the room and encourage people to pray "your kingdom come, your will be done" over nations and situations.
For many more ideas on how to pray creatively check out The 24-7 Prayer Manual and the free resources available when you register your prayer room.
Register now to download the 24-7 Prayer Room Pack and access personal support from our team.